Port of Paranaguá - History
Latin America’s largest bulk port began its history 1872, in the old mooring of Paranaguá under private management. In 1917 the Government of the State of Paraná took over the administration of the Port of Paranaguá that received improvements that made it into the largest port in Southern Brazil.
On July 11, 1947 it was created the State Autarchy that took the name of Port Administration of Paranaguá and Antonina (APPA). The first ship to enter the port was the Admiral Saldanha on March 17, 1935.
Today, the Port of Paranaguá is one of the world’s most important sea trade centers, featuring strategic location and one of Latin America’s best port infrastructures. Some of the most important goods to cross the port are: soybean, crumb, corn, salt, sugar, fertilizers, containers, frozen goods, petrol derived products, alcohol and vehicles.
Historically, it was through Paranaguá that the first settlers got into the State of Parana and, since the second half of the 16th century it was also through it that Paraná became the main exporting output of Brazil’s number one agricultural producer.